The free Iridium GO! App is used to make voice phone calls, SMS Messaging, and SOS functionality. It is available on Apple (iPhone/ iPad) and Android devices.
Quick Start Guide
Activation of Iridium GO!
To activate your SIM card card please go to: PredictWind Satellite Portal
You will need to use your SIM card number when the package arrives, and the IMEI numbers on your actual Iridium GO unit itself. In the activation process you will select your airtime plan, and must enter your credit card details for the airtime charges.
The activation process will be complete within 10 minutes.
Please note the billing of your Iridium GO plan is pro-rated so you can choose to activate your Sim card at anytime during the month, and will only pay for that portion of the monthly charge.
First setup the Iridium GO device by inserting the SIM card. Remove the battery with a flat head screw driver, or a coin. Slide the Sim card holder toward the hinges, and lift to open, insert the Sim card into the slot. Close the card holder and slide it away from the hinges to lock it. Then install the battery. Make sure the gold battery contacts are facing down over the 4 connector contacts. Replace the battery cover. Next charge the battery, open the USB cover and firmly plug in the USB cable. Connect the supplied USB cable to a USB outlet on your boat. If no USB outlet is available you can temporarily use the car charger. We recommend leaving the unit permanently on charge. Next plug in the external antenna, by carefully but firmly to “click in” the adaptor. The small co-axial cable should not be bent at a 90 degree angle, as it may damage the cable and affect the signal strength.
Turn the device on by raising the swivel antenna into the upright position. Make sure the antenna has a clear view of the open sky and horizon.
Once raised the device will automatically complete the power up sequence in approximately 1min, and will begin registration with the Iridium network. Once registered the LED light will turn green, and the signal strength icon will appear on the screen. If the SIM card has not been activated, no signal strength will be shown. If you have two SIM cards ordered please check you have the correct SIM card inserted.
Download the App
Download the free 'Iridium GO!' App from the App Store or Google Play. This app manages your connection to the GO! and allows you to make phone calls, send text messages, and has SOS functions.
Your smartphone or tablet device MUST be connected via Wi-Fi to Iridium GO! in order for the Iridium GO! App to operate. On your iOS or Android device, connect to the wireless network created by your Iridium GO. It will look something like 'IRIDIUM-xxxxxx.' No password is required. Also ensure all devices have Bluetooth capability turned off to avoid networking connectivity issues.
NOTE: On some Android devices you may need to turn on Airplane mode, then connect to the Iridium Wi-Fi.
Iridium GO! Firmware Upgrade Version 2.1.8.
Please check you have the latest Iridium GO! firmware, by opening the Iridium GO! App, login, and go to the Help icon, click on the "about" menu. The Iridium GO! Firmware version should be 2.1.8 It is critical that you have the latest firmware for a reliable connection and the Apps to work.
The Iridium GO! device contains an internal website portal which can be used to upgrade the firmware. You will need a Laptop, and a high speed internet connection to download the Firmware file. For detailed instructions on upgrading the firmware click here
Launch the Iridium GO! App, then press the submit button. The username/password for the Iridium GO! App are both guest & guest - all lower case. This username/password does not need to be changed and is not related to your PredictWind or Iridium Mail/Web App email/password. Up to 5 devices can be wirelessly connected to the Iridium GO at one time, but only allowing 1 user to make calls, or access data at one time. To avoid conflict between devices we recommend only having 1 device connected at a time.
Voice Calls from Iridium GO App
To make a call, enter the full dialing sequence: 00 or + [Country Code] [Phone Number] using the country/flag drop-down if required, or select a contact. Press the green key to initiate the call and press the red key to end the call.
How People can Call/SMS your Iridium GO!
- Dial "+" then Iridium GO! number (e.g +8816-xxxx-xxxx). This is an international call and will be billed to the caller at their long distance rate by their telephone service provider.
- Free SMS messages (up to 160 characters) can be sent to your Iridium phone number from http://messaging.iridium.com/ This is the most popular way to send SMS messages to an Iridium GO.
- Alternatively, people can text from their mobile phone at the international text rate (e.g +8816-xxxx-xxxx). Please check your mobile provider does allow International text messages to be delivered.
How does the billing work?
The most popular Iridium GO Plan is the Unlimited Plan. On this plan, you can make unlimited data connections/minutes to receive unlimited email & weather data, or data on any other certified Iridium GO App. There will be no additional data charges to the US$140/month. In addition you can make unlimited SMS text messages to any mobile in the world. The Unlimited plan has a free allowance of 150 minutes of voice calling to any landline or mobile in the world. Satellite phone calls are not included in this allowance. However, at present Iridium do not have a system for monitoring voice minutes during the month. You will need to manually track your voice minutes. You will be billed for your plan at the end each month.
Although voice mail can be used on the Iridium GO! we do not recommend using this service. To retrieve voice mail messages you will be charged the standard Iridium GO! calling rates US$1.09/min. It is better to advise friends/family to send an SMS text message. You can change your voice mail greeting to advise the caller to send a text message. Click on the 'call' icon, then click on the voice mail icon. When you hear the greeting enter * on the keypad. Then enter the last 7 digits of your Iridium GO! phone number as the pass code. Then select option '3' to set up your greeting to tell callers that you will not be checking voice mail, but to send to an SMS text message. Friends/family can send you free text messages from http://messaging.iridium.com/
Existing contacts that are stored in your smartphone must be updated to the full
internal dialing sequence in order to connect calls: '+' [Country Code] [Phone
SMS Text Messaging
When messaging, enter the international dialing sequence of the intended recipient: '+' [Country Code] [Phone Number]. SMS messages are limited to 1000 characters.
We recommend to do twitter updates using the Iridium Mail & Web App.
The Iridium GO! offers a programmable SOS button that can be configured to notify specified contacts in the case of an emergency. Once configured, an SOS can be initiated either from the Iridium GO! device or application. An SOS initiated by pressing the SOS button on the Iridium GO! device will only send an emergency message with location information, while an SOS initiated from the Iridium GO! application will also provide the option for two-way voice communication with the designated contact.
WARNING! You must configure the SOS button in order for the SOS to send any emergency message to a designated Call Recipient and Message Recipient. Failure to configure the SOS button will result in no message being sent when the SOS button is pressed. This could prevent or delay an emergency response and result in serious injury or death.
NOTE! The SOS setup is related to your SIM card. So if you deactivate the service and get a new SIM card you will need to register the GEOS service again.
GEOS safety services: To support the SOS feature, Iridium has contracted with GEOS Travel Safety Group to provide an emergency response coordination service for your Iridium GO! at no additional charge. These services are offered and are provided exclusively by GEOS and not by Iridium which is a separate, unrelated company.
Setting up the GEOS service
- Register at https://www.geosalliance.net/geosalert/monitor_iridium.aspx from your computer. To register, you will need your Iridium phone number and Iridium GO! IMEI (located on the Help > About page in the Iridium App).
- On the Iridium App navigate to Settings > SOS > GEOS Service and select ‘Use,’ and enter the 5-digit authorization code provided by GEOS in their registration confirmation email, then Submit. The 5-digit code can also be found on your GEOS registration page at the bottom left hand corner. If successful, your SOS settings will appear and the SOS action will be set to Call and Message, for the GEOS service.
- You may then choose to add additional emergency message contacts (see Message Recipient, below). The Message action enables automatic Emergency SMS alerts to be sent at 5 minute intervals until cancelled.
- The Call and Message action enables the message feature as well as an automatic phone call to your designated call recipient when SOS is initiated from the Iridium GO! application. Call Recipient: Enter the number for your Call Recipient. It is important that the number is entered in the correct international format with the international access code (+ or 00), country code, and phone number for proper routing.
- Spoken Language: Select the spoken language of the emergency response personnel.
Important tips for SOS use:
• The antenna on the Iridium Go! unit must be up, and if not using an external
antenna, the internal antenna must be oriented towards the sky and have
a clear view of the sky.
• SOS can be initiated either by pressing the SOS button on the Iridium GO! device or the SOS icon within the Iridium GO! application.
• To place an Emergency Call you must use the Iridium GO! application.
• The Iridium GO! device will remain in SOS mode until cancelled by the user.
• The SOS mode is not cancelled when the Iridium GO! application is closed or the
smartphone is turned off.
• If the Iridium GO! device is turned off while in SOS mode, upon restart the Iridium GO! device will resume sending SOS messages.
Testing the SOS GEOS safety service
We recommend testing the SOS setting on your device. GEOS asks that all tests be scheduled at least 72 hours in advance unless otherwise approved for an earlier test time by the Operations Team.
You will need to fill out a Test Request form and email it back to email@example.com A member of the GEOS Operations Team will then confirm the time that you have requested and answer any further questions you might have about the test.
Please click here for more information.