It is important you correctly mount the Iridium GO! and external antenna to ensure a strong satellite connection and signal.
The steps below will answer any question relating to running the external antenna cables, power source, voltage, mounting, GPS signal etc.
If you have issues installing your Iridium GO! please check the steps below.
- Please allow 1-3 days (depending on your technical level) to setup the Iridium GO! and Offshore App. You should aim to complete this process at least 4 weeks before your departure date. In our extensive experience, customers who do not schedule this time before departure, do not complete the set-up process and this leads to frustration and disappointment – so please assign time for the installation/setup process.
- Find a dry location for Iridium GO! inside the vessel away from direct sunlight. Exposure to high temperatures under spray dodgers and bimini's can result in overheating and battery damage.
- The Iridium GO! device utilizes a negative ground system. When using a DC power source, such as a car or boat, the power system must be a negative ground system. Do not use the device with positive ground systems. Failure to properly ground the GO! could cause fire or could cause the device to fail so that it is unavailable in an emergency situation, preventing or delaying an emergency response.
- Use the Iridium GO! device with Iridium supplied power accessories ONLY. Use of non-Iridium supplied power accessories could result in exposing the device to excessive voltage, which could cause fire or could cause the device to fail so that it is unavailable in an emergency situation, preventing or delaying an emergency response.
- The main unit should be installed in a position in the cabin where it will have GPS reception i.e. high in the cabin and near a window. The external antenna repeats the Iridium signal but not the GPS signal necessary for tracking. At present there is no external Antenna for the Iridium GO! that will boost the GPS signal.
- The external antenna needs to be mounted where it has the best possible view of the sky with minimal obstruction to get the best possible Iridium signal level. If on a yacht we recommend installing the antenna near the pushpit area, and not on the yacht mast.
- Please avoid mounting the external antenna near any radar that is 4KW or higher. If mounting near radar please mount above the radar. VHF & GPS antennae will not cause signal interference, but it is important they are not obstructing the Iridium GO! antenna view of the sky/horizon.
- Please avoid mounting the antenna within 2 meters of a wind generator which may cause electrical interference.
- The black co-axial cable is not designed to be bent around any hard corners - 25mm minimum radius. Please be careful of the smaller co-axial cable going into the Iridium GO! and the connector. This is quite delicate. Please secure the co-axial cable with cable ties, so there is no strain on the small connector into the unit. Use coaxial sealant, shrink-wrap tubing, electrical tape or another suitable product to seal all cable connections appropriately to prevent moisture and corrosion damage from weather exposure.
- When an external antenna is connected, you must still raise the device antenna; this action turns the unit on and allows for transmission with the Iridium network, while lowering the device antenna can disable transmission or effectively switch the device off.
Please download the instructions on how to install the Iridium GO! wall mount.