This iOS App provides both email and web access. The mail feature allows you to register for one or more @myiridium.net email accounts (one per device), that may be used like any email account, including attaching images or files.
Activation of Iridium GO!
After ordering the Iridium GO! from PredictWind you will need to activate your SIM card by completing the web form at https://www.satphonestore.com/ctapw. The Sim Card ICCID number is written on the Sim Card.
If you have ordered multiple Sim cards, you can choose to activate any Sim Card. You can choose to activate the SIM card immediately or on a specified date. The Iridium activation process can take up to 24hrs.
Please note the billing of your Iridium GO plan is done on a calendar month basis and is not pro-rated so you may want to plan your activation to start on the 1st of the month.
1) Download Iridium Mail & Web App and The PredictWind Offshore App. Please note: We recommend installing the Offshore App before using the Mail app.
Download and install the ‘Iridium Mail & Web’ and the PredictWind 'Offshore App' from the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
2) Register for an Iridium Email Account
Navigate to https://www.iridium.com/iridiummailampwebregistration URL to fill out the registration form, follow the instructions and register for a username and password. Select ‘Iridium Subscriber’ from the device selection drop-down menu in the registration form. Registration for an account is free and it is required to use the application.
Please note your username becomes your email address. ie if johnsmith is your username, your email address would be firstname.lastname@example.org
The email field at the bottom is simply for Iridium to send confirmation of the registration process. Please be careful that you accurately record the password, as you will need it for setting up the Iridium Mail & Web App.
The email address is not associate with your Sim Card, so if you do get a new Sim card you do not need to register again. However if your account is inactive for 12 months the email address is removed from the Iridium email servers.
3) Pair the iOS Device with Iridium GO!
- Set up the Iridium GO! unit in an outdoor area with open access to the sky and 5 bars of signal strength prior to use. Without full signal strength the data rate will drop dramatically. If the Iridium GO! does not have signal strength, it is probably not activated.
- Flip up the antenna on Iridium GO! to turn it on.
- Wait for Iridium GO! to initialize and establish connection with the Iridium network.
- On your iOS device, go to Wi-Fi setting and select ‘Iridium-xxxx’ network. Wait for your iPhone or iPad to connect to the Iridium GO! Wi-Fi network.
4) App Set Up
Open the Iridium Mail & Web app. You will be asked to enter your full name, username, and password, used during the registration process. Now you are ready to send and receive email with your Iridium email address. This method is simple and recommended to minimize your email traffic.
The alternative setup is to forward your land based email to your Iridium email account. The advantage of this setup is that you only have the one email address, which can be accessed on and off the boat, however it is not recommended if you have high email traffic, as the Iridium GO data connection is slow. To implement this method, add a “Reply-To Address” as your regular email address. Recipients will reply to that address. You will need to have your gmail (or other email) set up to then forward emails to your email@example.com email. You can only set up the forwarding for gmail from your computer not the gmail app. See instructions.
Then the app will guide you to configure the device connection type. Select ‘Iridium GO! for Mobile Devices’ as your connection type, then tap “Iridium Mail & Web” top left to return to the home screen.
5) Send/Receive Email
To draft emails, tap 'Mail' on the main menu and tap the 'New Mail' icon at the bottom right corner of the screen. Tap 'To:' and enter the recipient's address. Tap 'Next' on your keypad to enter the Subject. Tap 'Next' on your keypad to enter the body of the email message. When the message is complete, tap 'To Outbox' in the top right corner. Repeat until all emails are complete.
Click the 'Send/Receive Mail icon' at the bottom left corner of the screen. Select
'Get Mail' The session log window will appear. Wait for the session to complete and disconnect; select 'Done' to return to the Mail menu screen (as seen in the picture below).
How to download Big Mail
- Tap on Big Mail folder
- You will see the Sender of the big mail and the file size in bytes.
- Tap on the mail item, this open the big mail itself, here you will see the sender, date subject and file size, you now have the option to one of 3 actions.
- "delete from server" This email will be deleted.
- "download" To download the big mail.
- "cancel" To cancel this action and return to the big mail folder.
- If you have chosen to download the "Big Mail" you will need to do a new Send/Receive.
- The Big mail will arrive in your inbox. Note 100,000b is 100kb so it will take approx. 10mins for this download.
6) PredictWind Offshore App link
We recommend installing the Offshore App before using the Mail app.
Tap on the PredictWind Offshore App icon in the IMW app. If you have not already downloaded the Offshore App you will be directed to the App store to download the PredictWind Offshore App. You will need fast internet connection for the download. Go to Preferences in the Offshore App and enter your PredictWind user email and password (this is the email and password you use for all your PredictWind accounts, not the Iridium Web & Mail username and password). You will need to be on the Standard or Professional version of PredictWind to access all the features of the Offshore App. Go to the pricing page to upgrade.
Go back to the IMW app. Now when you tap on the PredictWind Offshore App icon it will take you directly to the Offshore App. Please read the instructions on how to use the Offshore App.
7) Configure Web Surfing (Text Websites Only)
The 'Iridium Mail & Web' app allows you to view text only web pages using the Safari Web Browser.
1) On your iOS device, go to Wi-Fi setting and select ‘Iridium-xxxx’ network. Wait for your iPhone/iPad to connect to the Iridium GO! Wi-Fi network.
2) Please go to the iOS settings > Wifi > Click on Iridium-XXXXX. At the bottom select Http Proxy and click on the "Auto"* button.
Note: Only do this step when you wish to use the web browser, using the ‘Auto” setting opens up your device to the internet and other Apps, this will significantly slow your connection with the Offshore App and Mail App, you could also incur unwanted airtime charges. Ensure you turn the Proxy back to “OFF” after you have finished Web browsing. We do not recommend using the Web browsing function, it is very limited in it functionality.
3) Open the Iridium Mail & Web App and click on the ‘Web’ icon on the home screen.
4) Click the upper-right 'Connect' option to start your connection.
5) Wait for the dialing process to be complete. You will be directed to the Safari web browser app. On the first time opening Safari you will get a proxy display message. Please make sure you enter in the correct username/password. This is the same username and password you use for the Iridium email setup. If you do not enter these credentials correctly the web browsing will not work. If you do not receive the proxy message please check step 2) and try a full power off/on of the iOS device.
If you are having trouble, please ensure all 'background apps' are closed down or 'killed.' It is also critical that you do not have multiple tabs open in Safari.
7) Continue to access Web content. If you leave the page inactive for a few minutes, the connection will be dropped, and you will not be able to view any other test based web pages.
8) Click the Iridium Mail & Web app to close the data connection. It will automatically close.
8) Configure Facebook
To do a Facebook post please follow these instructions. You will need to have a high speed internet connection to complete the setup process.
- On your laptop/tablet open a web browser, and go to fb.myiridium.net
- If not already, you will need to be logged into your Facebook account
- Then select "Okay"
- You need to pair the Iridium Mail & Web with Facebook. Please enter your Iridium Mail & Web Username (not the full email address) and password.
- For security reasons Facebook requires you complete this process every 60 days.
- After completing this setup process, connect you iOS device to the Iridium GO, open the Iridium Mail & Web App, then go to Settings > Social Media and enter in your Facebook email address and password, and return to the main menu.
- Go to the Facebook menu and type in a post, and click "Ok".
- Then go to the Mail menu and select "Send and Receive Mail"
9) Configure Twitter
- Open the Iridium Mail & Web app connected to the internet at home before going on your trip. Twitter registration will fail if you are not connected the internet.
- Click on the Settings icon on home screen, select ‘Social Media’ and turn on Twitter
- A window will appear asking you to login to Twitter to allow Iridium Mail & Web to post on your behalf
- Allow Iridium Mail & Web access to your Twitter account
- A PIN will be generated once authentication has been granted. Record the PIN.
- Enter the PIN in the appropriate location and hit OK.
- Once this configuration is complete, tweets can be posted via Iridium Mail & Web using the Twitter icon on the home screen.
- Please connect to the Iridium wifi before trying to post to Twitter via the Mail & Web application.
- The posting will only be sent the next time you make an email connection.
10) Configure Weather Forecast Service
This is a generic weather service with data from the NOAA GFS model. We recommend the PredictWind Offshore Package for a detailed and accurate forecast.