There are two recommended options for downloading weather data on a Satellite Connection. Both options require the Standard or Professional Package.
1) Optimizer (see tab option on download page)
If you do not have an Iridium GO, but are using any other Satellite device we highly recommend you use an Optimizer.
Why buy an Optimizer?
- This device can connect to any Satellite System to create a Wifi hotspot for any easy connection of laptops, phones & tablets.
- The Optimizer contains all the software device drivers, so all software interface issues are eliminated.
- The Optimizer contains a firewall to prevent unwanted windows downloads (for example) over your satellite connection.
- Get weather downloads direct into the PredictWind Offshore App, so you do not need to go through the numerous steps for an email request.
You can purchase an Optimizer from http://www.globalmarinenet.com/product/redport-optimizer/ Please note the cost is only US$149. You do not need to buy Xgate software, only the hardware.
Set-up Instructions for Offshore App and Optimizer:
- Open the Offshore App, and go to Preferences > Optimizer and select your connection type. Then close the preferences
- Ensure the Wifi on your laptop is connected to the Optimizer
- To do a download with the Optimizer, click on the Download Button, then "Next", then select the "Optimizer" Tab
2) Satellite (see tab option on download page)
This option is recommended if you have a high speed internet connection, that already comes with a Wifi connection for your boat, and also a firewall to prevented unwanted traffic. ie your system already has the built in capabilities of the Optimizer. For example an Iridium Certus unit.
Set-up Instructions for Offshore App and Satellite download option:
Please make sure these ports and IP addresses are white listed and open with your device and satellite provider.
- Ensure the Wifi on your laptop is connected to your Satellite device
- Click on the Download Button, then "Next", then select the "Satellite" Tab