This Android App provides both email and web access. The mail feature allows you to register for one or more @myiridium.net email accounts (one per device), that may be used like any email account, including attaching images or files.
Activation of Iridium GO!
After ordering the Iridium GO! from PredictWind you will need to activate your SIM card by completing the web form at https://www.satphonestore.com/ctapw. The Sim Card ICCID number is written on the Sim Card.
If you have ordered multiple Sim cards, you can choose to activate any Sim Card. You can choose to activate the SIM card immediately or on a specified date. The Iridium activation process can take up to 24hrs.
Please note the billing of your Iridium GO plan is done on a calendar month basis and is not pro-rated so you may want to plan your activation to start on the 1st of the month.
1) Download Iridium Mail & Web app
Download and install the ‘Iridium Mail & Web’ and also the 'XWeb Satellite' App from the Google Play store onto your smartphone or tablet.
2) Register for an Iridium Email Account
Navigate to https://www.iridium.com/iridiummailampwebregistration URL to fill out the registration form, follow the instructions and register for a username and password. Select ‘Iridium GO!’ from the device selection drop-down menu in the registration form. Registration for an account is free and required to use the application.
Please note your username becomes your email address. ie if johnsmith is your username, your email address would be email@example.com
The email field at the bottom is simply for Iridium to send confirmation of the registration process. Please be careful that you accurately record the password, as you will need it for setting up the Iridium Mail & Web App.
The email address is not associate with your Sim Card, so if you do get a new Sim card you do not need to register again. However if your account is inactive for 12 months the email address is removed from the Iridium email servers.
3) Pair the Android™ Device with Iridium GO!
- Set up the Iridium GO! unit in an outdoor area with open access to the sky and 5 bars of signal strength prior to use. Without full signal strength the data rate will drop dramatically. If the Iridium GO! does not have signal strength, it is probably not activated.
- Flip up the antenna on Iridium GO! to turn it on.
- Wait for Iridium GO! to initialize and establish connection with the Iridium network.
- On your Android™ device, go to Wi-Fi setting and select ‘Iridium-xxxx’ network. Wait for your smartphone or tablet to connect to the Iridium GO! Wi-Fi network.
- NOTE: On some Android devices you may need to turn on Airplane mode, then connect to the Iridium Wi-Fi.
4) Set up the Application
Open the Iridium Mail & Web app. You will be asked to enter the registered username and password in the initial User’s setting screen. Enter the username/password as supplied during registration, and click on the ‘Save’ button. Select ‘Iridium GO!’ as your connection type and click the 'Save' button.
5) Send/Receive Email
- From the main menu, tap the Mail icon, then Email menu and you will get a blank black screen. Then tap the Mail Menu button (bottom right of screen - see picture below) and select 'Compose'.
- Tap 'To' and enter the recipient's email address. Tap 'Subject' and enter the subject of the email. Tap 'Message text' to enter the body of the email message.
- When the message is complete, tap the phone's menu button and select 'Send' to move the new email to the Spool folder. Repeat until all emails are complete. The new emails will wait in the Spool folder until your next Iridium Mail connection.
- You must be connected to the Iridium GO! Wi-Fi.
- From the main menu select Mail > Send/Receive Email to go to the Mail Server Connection screen. Tap 'Send/Receive Email.' The session log window will show progress of the connection. During the connection all items in the Spool folder will be uploaded to the Iridium Mail server for distribution. When the session is complete you will see 'connection closed' in the session log. Please see screenshot below.
- If the connection terminates prematurely during a data transfer, the email that was not uploaded will be stored in Mail > Email > Outbox. Once connected again, the mid-file restart feature will pick up the transfer of the email at the point where the file dropped during the previous connection.
6) Configure Web Surfing (Text Based Websites Only)
To access web pages using Iridium Mail & Web:
- Click on the ‘Web’ icon on the home screen. The app will start dialling a connection.
- After the connection is up, the app will automatically open the XWeb browser and ask you for username and password. Enter the username and password used for registration on www.iridium.com/mailandweb.
- Continue to access Web content. When finished, close your XWeb app and return to the Iridium Mail & Web app.
- Click the "Web" icon on the main home screen and stop the data connection.
7) Configure Facebook
To do a Facebook post please follow these instructions. You will need to have a high speed internet connection to complete the setup process.
- On your laptop/tablet open a web browser, and go to fb.myiridium.net
- If not already, you will need to be logged into your Facebook account
- Then select "Okay"
- You need to pair the Iridium Mail & Web with Facebook. Please enter your Iridium Mail & Web Username (not the full email address) and password.
- For security reasons Facebook requires you complete this process every 60 days.
- After completing this setup process, connect you Android device to the Iridium GO, open the Iridium Mail & Web App, then go to Settings > Social Media and enter in your Facebook email address and password, and return to the main menu.
- Go to the FaceBook menu and type in a post, and click "Ok".
- Then go to the Mail menu and select "Send and Receive Mail"
8) Configure Twitter
- Open the Iridium Mail & Web App connect to the internet at home before going on your trip. Twitter registration will fail if you are not connected to the internet.
- Click on the Settings icon on home screen, select ‘Social Media’ and turn on Twitter.
- A window will appear asking you to login to Twitter & authorize Iridium Mail & Web to post on your behalf. Enter the login information and click OK.
- A PIN will be generated once authentication has been granted. Record the PIN.
- Enter the PIN in the appropriate location and hit OK.
- Once this configuration is complete, tweets can be posted via Iridium Mail & Web using the Twitter icon on the home screen.
9) Configure Weather Forecast Service
This is a generic weather service with data from the NOAA GFS model. We recommend the PredictWind Offshore Package for a detailed and accurate forecast.